Last modified 01/25/2015
A vinyl cutter is a type of computer controlled machine.
Signup for time slots here
- The computer controls the movement of a sharp blade.
- Blade can cut through different mediums
- Is comparable to the laser cutter when cutting thin sheets of material.
The vinyl cutter uses a small knife to precisely cut the outline of a picture into a sheet or piece of vinyl. What results from the cut process is an image/any vetrized artwork cut into the material.
- Dimensions: 12" wide x various length
- The knife moves side to side and turns
- The vinyl is moved beneath the knife on a carrier sheet.
The Silhouette Cameo uses the Silhouette Studio software. It is installed on the laptop in the Soft Lab.
- File setup can be done inside the Silhouette Studio software or from Adobe Illustrator.
- Inside Illustrator, export your design as a .dxf file
- To keep exact scale, set scale as 1 millimeter = 1 unit(s)
- Open Silhouette Cameo software and open your .dxf file. Place it within the artboard.
- Turn on the Silhouette Cameo and place the material you would like to cut on the cutting mat. Make sure it sticks to the matt, use some tape if necessary.
- Place cutting matt under the rollers and press the Enter button to load cutting board.
- Make sure settings are set in the Silhouette Cameo software for your material & press Send to Silhouette.
- After cutting is finished, press Enter again on the machine to unload the cutting mat.
Materials that can be cut on the Cameo include paper, vinyl, fabric, cardstock and many more.