Last modified 01/25/2015
The Techno Router is a large format milling machine. It uses end mills to cut away from material, making 3D shapes, 2.5D shapes. The Techno Router is the largest mill at ITP and most commonly used to cut into larger pieces of material such as wood, foam, and MDF.
Signup for time slots here
- The Techno Router can make larger and deeper cuts than any of the laser cutters.
- It supports both 2D and 3D files
- To operate the Techno Router you must first Generate tool paths and an NC file using the MasterCam software.
- MasterCam takes various 2D and 3D file formats including .dxf .dwg .3dm .igs .obj .stl.
- Dimensions of the Techno Router Bed are 48 inches by 45 inches.
- The dimensions of your files should not exceed the dimensions of the router bed.
- Maximum cutting depth is approximately 4 inches, however this will vary based on your bit and material size.
- The machine's origin on the X,Y, and Z axis must be properly set before running a job.
- Be sure to adjust the speed and jog settings before operating.
- If settings are not correct the Techno Router may try to cut beyond the space of the bed or it may deeper than the cutting bed, which may cause injury and /or break the machine
- Inspect bits and materials before cutting. Worn out bits or hard materials may cause fire or tear out.
- Always wear eye protection when operating, as sawdust and other material shards pose the threat of injury.
- Never put your hands, hair, other parts of your body, near the the Techno Router when it is cutting.
- Do not operate while wearing loose clothing, jewelry, or anything else that could get caught in any of the router's moving parts.
CNC Techno Router Station:
1. Computer With Techno Interface
2. Techno Router Control Panel
3. Router Head and Spindle
Techno Router Control Panel:
5. Start / Resume
6. Emergency Stop
7. Stop / Pause
- Steps needed to successfully run a job:
- Create 2D or 3D file
- Create toolpaths in MasterCam
- Export toolpaths as NC File
- Load NC to the Techno Interface
- Attach appropriate bit to the Spindle
- Set origin and speed settings
- Turn on the vacuum
- Hit Green button
- Clean up when done
- ITP Shop provides 1/4 inch and 1/2 inch cutting bits
- ITP Shop has additional 1/8 inch, 3/8 inch collets but you must provide your own bits
- The Techno Router can cut the following materials:
- Insulation Foam
- The Techno Router does not cut metal.